Thursday, September 24, 2009

TURNING 21

I need to know; what is the big fuss about turning 21…before I go any further, let me just say, I LOVED TURNING 21 and all the festivities that went along with it. I also gained more independence in terms of my parents, yes…my parents are old school, but why do people make such a big fuss about turning 21?

I understand the big fuss about turning 18. You are officially legal, you get to consume alchohol (not like you didn’t before), you can get your drivers licence (not like you weren’t driving before without a licence) and you finish high school (in most cases) but that’s it…right? I forgot one privilege…you get to vote.

So what’s so special about turning 21? Besides the big party and all the awesome gifts? Oh yes, not forgetting the 21st key!!!

Does turning 21 mean that you are officially a young adult? Does it mean you are able to make your own decisions and not be questioned? When turning 21, does turning 21 mean you are given that freedom to be your own person?

Turning 21 is also considered a milestone of age? Why is this? Im sure like 100 years, something happened and it was decide that turning 21 would be a special occasion all around the world. That’s the only conclusion that I can come too.

Living in South Africa turning 21 doesn’t mean much in terms of being legal as it does in other countries so why do we still make a big fuss about turning 21?

If anybody knows the answer, feel free to comment on my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment