Thursday, September 3, 2009

Personal Autonomy – How does it extend?

Okay, so I googled the meaning of Autonomy and this is what it means:

“Self-government; The capacity to make an informed, uncoerced decision; The capacity of a system to make a decision about its actions without the involvement of another system or operator” en.wiktionary.org/wiki/autonomy

Now, that I know what Autonomy means, I can actually talk about it.

I think the ability of one to make a decision by not being influenced by external factors has decreased especially in this day and age. There are so many factors that influence one’s thinking and why we make the decisions we make.

If I was to make a decision for myself based on nothing else except myself, I don’t think I would be the person I am?

So how far does personal autonomy extend? Does this not depend on the individual? Personal Autonomy, im sure is influenced my experiences, goals, values and morals. These factors are all very different for each individual so I’ve come to the conclusion that one cannot clearly define how far Personal Autonomy extends but that it is dependant on a specific individuals needs.

I do feel that Personal Autonomy will change the way in which you make decisions and think it would be FUN…making decisions for me and only me. Not giving to hoots whether or not it will affect the other person. But that’s not me…so ill stick to my way of making decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment